This section will help you create a new Course. A course is made up of one or more Chapters, a text description, an image thumbnail (picture or image representing the content) and a Course Preview Trailer (video).
After you have selected your content container, you will be on the Course List screen, where you can either Search for an existing course, or Create a new course.
When you click on the Course List option, if you have any existing courses they will be displayed like this:
|CoID||This is a unique identifyer for this Course.|
|Rank||This is order in which this course will display in the Training Center.|
|Course Name||This is the name of the Course.|
|Internal Desc.||This is an area for internal notes only, the end-user will never see this text.|
|Category||The Category that this Course is currently assigned to.|
|Chapters||The number of Chapters in this course.|
|Duration||How long this course is (in minutes)|
|Active||If the Course is active, it will be checked.|
Create or Edit a Course – Basic Info
Once you click into a Course, or add a new one, you can add or edit the following fields:
Course – Additional Information
- Course Description – This can be left blank.
- Enter the description of the course.
- Course Internal Description – This can be left blank.
- Enter the internal description. This is an Internal view for you only. This can be used to add additional important details about the course, or even to log recent changes.
- Author – This can be left blank.
- Enter the name of the author of this material.
- Duration – This can be left blank.
- This field is for the duration, in minutes, of the course. (Note: Currently this field is not output in the Training Center, however we will be including it in a future update.)
Course – Display Settings
When editing a Course, if you “Show Advanced Options” you’ll see a new section open on the left called “Settings”
By default when creating a new Course, we enable “Enable Notes” and “Allow Discussions” – here is an explanation on what each setting does.
This will enable or disable a “Notes” tab next to the Chapter video:
And when opened it will allow users to take notes, which automatically save:
They can be accessed via the “My Notes” section and exported/printed:
Hide on Reports
This will enable or disable this Course from showing up on all Reports. This can be handy if the Course is something you are not concerned about your Users completing, or you do not want it to appear when reviewing your Usage reports.
Hide on Search
This will prevent the Course from being searchable. This can be useful if you’ve created a specific learning path for your users to follow and do not want to allow them to search for the Course to skip ahead.
Complete Chapters in Order
With this enabled, this will force users to complete each Chapter in your Course in order – they will not be able to skip ahead to the end. We make the Chapters “transparent” so they know they’re there, but they cannot access them yet:
Default to Fullscreen
With this enabled, we will start each Chapter in “Full screen” mode rather than the standard size.
With Discussions enabled, any User with access to the Course (across all of your Locations) will be able to participate in discussing the Course. They can create new questions or respond to other questions. Each time someone posts a question, an email will be sent to a moderator so they can review and respond to them.
Lock Content to System
This setting is for Admins who want to give access to their content to another Admin at another System for viewing only – and by “locking” the content to your System, it will prevent them from being able to modify the Category/Course/Chapters in any way. When it is locked, we display a padlock symbol to indicate they cannot edit it:
Course – Keywords
- Keywords – This can be left blank.
- Add any keywords associated with this course. Type in your desired Keyword and then hit enter. Enter as many keywords as you desire. (Note: The system will automatically use the Category, Course and Chapter names to search, as well as all words within the descriptions.)
Course – Extended Info
Extended Info – This can be left blank. – In this area you can add additional data to the Course Menu, if needed, such as additional resources for the user to download, or adding special instructions for the end user.
- Extended Info Position
- Select either “Top” or “Bottom” where you would like the Extended Info to be displayed on the Chapter Menu.
- Extended Info Style
- This can be Default, None, Shadowbox, or iframe. (Example outputs of each will follow) Note: If you select “iframe” – there will be additional fields to fill out. (Details below)
- Extended Info Title
- If you are using Default, None, or Shadowbox, enter a title for your information (example: Downloads)
- Extended Info Content
- If you are using Default, None, or Shadowbox, enter the additional information you want to display on the chapter menu here.
- iFrame Path
- Enter the path to your iFrame HTML file here.
- iFrame Height
- Enter the height of the iFrame.
Course – VT2GO Settings
VT2GO settings are covered HERE.
Course – Content Role Assignments
- Content Role Assignment
- Select each content role that this course should appear in.
Note: This still does not mean the content is active. If you recall from the diagram at the top of this section, the final step will be to activate this course for the Location.
Note 2: LightSpeed VT will create you an “Admin – All Content” role initially for testing and review purposes, however if you need to add additional roles, you may do so now, or after your Courseware is created. To add more Content Roles now, click on “Content Containers” in the top navigation bar now. We cover Content Containers and Roles in the Content Containers section of these Help Docs.
When you have entered all of your information, click “Save”, and move on to the next section.