Now it’s easier than ever to sell access to your VT system through Stripe! Simply connect your Stripe account to your VT System and with a few clicks you’ll get a small code snippet that you can place on any web page. This code snippet will generate a widget that will take payments and also create users in real time to provide instant access for your customers. In this article, we’ll take you through the process of getting your Stripe account connected with your VT system, step by step.
The widget that the code snippet generates is a three step process.
- Step 1 – Collect customer information
- Step 2 – Collect payment information and process payment
- Step 3 – Create username and password
By collecting the customer’s info on the first step, you’ll be able to retarget any customers that abandon the checkout process. Checkout our article on capturing and sending data with the stripe widget here: https://support.lightspeedvt.com/knowledge-base/capturing-data-with-the-stripe-widget/
The widget will also detect if Apple Pay or Google Pay are available on the customer’s mobile device and if they are, the option to pay with either of those methods will be available as well.
This process will also check if their username already exists and all of the other necessary checks to correctly create their user account that are not otherwise possible without building a customization through the API.
Once the payment is successfully processed, there is a confirmation message briefly displayed, and then the user is automatically signed in to the VT System with the Username/Password they just created.
Creating and Activating Your Stripe Account
If you don’t have a Stripe account, you’ll need to head over to https://dashboard.stripe.com/register and create one. Once you’ve created an account, log in and click the “Activate your account” link below “Home” and follow the step by step guide.
Connecting Stripe to LightSpeed VT
To connect Stripe, we need to obtain these four “items” noted below, and in the next few steps, we’ll show you how to do it.
- Item 1: Stripe Publishable Key Token (from STRIPE)
- Item 2: Stripe Secret key Token (from STRIPE)
- Item 3: Stripe Web hook Endpoint (from your VT System)
- Item 4: Stripe Webhooks “Signing Secret” Token (from STRIPE)
Step 1 :
- Sign into your Stripe dashboard
- Click “Developers” in the left menu bar
- Choose and click “API Keys” in the resulting expanded left menu bar
- Click “Reveal key token”
- If prompted, enter the password for your Stripe user account
- Publishable key and Secret key will be available (Items 1 & 2).
Copy and save the information for both keys and proceed to Step 2 below.
Step 2 :
- In a separate or a new browser tab, sign into your VT System
- Go to the “Super User Dashboard”
- Look for section ID “105” and click “Integration Management”, this will take you to your “Integration Management” dashboard
- In the main menu bar, click on the “Stripe Integration” tab, then on the “Stripe Account” sub-tab
- On the resulting screen, click “ADD NEW ACCOUNT”
- Refer back to your earlier saved key tokens (Items 1 & 2) and copy and paste the token values in their appropriate matching fields
- Click “SAVE AND CONTINUE”
- On resulting screen, copy the generated “Stripe Webhook Endpoint” url (Item 3) and proceed to Step 3 below
Step 3 :
- Go back to your Stripe account dashboard
- Click “Developers” in the left menu bar
- Choose and click “Webhooks” in the resulting expanded left menu bar
- Click on “+ Add endpoint” button located on the top right of the main area
- In the newly opened modal window, paste the “Stripe Webhook Endpoint” you copied in Step 2, into the “Endpoint URL field
- Using the pulldown menu for “Events to send”, search for the following 5 events and select them:
- Click the “Add endpoint” button to save your input and selections
- On resulting screen showing a list of endpoints, click on the Endpoint URL you just added
- In the “Signing secret” section, click “Click to reveal”. Enter your Stripe account password if prompted
- Copy the token (Item 4) and proceed to Step 4 below
Step 4 :
- Go back to your VT Integration Manager to finish your account setup
- Paste the token (Item 4) you copied at the end of Step 3 into the “Stripe Webhook Signing Secret Token” field
- Click “Save”
- Congratulations, you’re done adding your Stripe account information. You can now add products!